Dads teach us how to play sports, fix things and mentor us to be independent. They are always there at sporting events, recitals, and performances, and to give life advice (whether we want it or not). Dads may be known as the tough ones, but we know everything they do is out of love for their kids. This Father's Day, show dad how much you appreciate him by celebrating him with with these things to see, do and eat around Westerville.
For the active dads:
- Activities at Alum Creek South Park – The park offers a roller/street hockey rink, a skateboard park, a climbing feature, a 1.7-mile recreation path, soccer and other sports fields. It’s also home to the only BMX track in Greater Columbus.
- Westerville Golf Center - This seasonal facility has two elaborately landscaped 18-hole mini-golf courses, a driving range and batting cages. The facility features both indoor and outdoor tees, so you can practice your game no matter the weather.
- Disc Golf at Blendon Woods - This deluxe short course has appeal to beginners and enthusiasts alike with elevation change and a stream that bisects the course and comes into play on a number of holes.
- Water activities at Hoover Reservoir – Bring your own or rent kayaks, canoes and paddleboards to take out on the Hoover Reservoir. It’s a great opportunity to see wildlife, bird watch or go fishing on the lake.
- Biking/hiking Westerville trails -Westerville offers 51 miles of trails and over 650 acres of parkland. Taking a walk or hike, enjoying a picnic lunch, or exploring the city on two-wheels are all great way to spend time together with dad.
For the dads with great taste:
- Governor’s Cigar Lounge – This premiere local cigar lounge located in the heart of Uptown offers pipes, pipe tobacco and a selection of top cigars in their large, walk-in humidors. Come enjoy the patio and leave with a few new friends.
- Temperance Row Brewing – The brewery located in Uptown Deli and Brew was the first brewery that opened after the city lifted the dry ban and offers a variety of craft beers, signature cocktails and wine and a great outdoor biergarten.
- Fattey Beer Co. –Westerville's newest bottle shop and tap room features a large selection of craft beers, wine, cider, seltzers and sodas, and is dog-friendly! Beer enthusiasts have the opportunity to join the Mug Club to enjoy special perks!
- The Draft Room - Part beer bar, part bottle shop, part bourbon bar, The Draft Room is a laid-back space to enjoy a pint and good company or take home to enjoy. Beers rotate often so come back again and again to try something new.
- Good Vibes Winery - As the only urban winery in Westerville, Good Vibes offers Ohio-made, internationally grown wine with grapes sourced from premium grape growing regions, including California and Italy. All wines are made on site with varieties for any palette.
For the foodie dads:
- Barrel & Boar – Located in the heart of Westerville, Barrel & Boar offers smoked BBQ meats, hearty sides, plus a full bar with beers and cocktails, a large restaurant and a large patio out back.
- 101 Beer Kitchen – This gastropub-style, neighborhood restaurant in North Westerville provides a seasonal, handcrafted menu and a large selection of craft beers.
- The Two One – Located inside the Renaissance Hotel, this American restaurant provides a relaxed, sophisticated experience with exceptional, seasonal menus, live music and an outdoor patio on the water.
- Can’t Believe it’s Vegan - Featuring a menu of familiar favorites with a plant-based twist, the chef creates mouth-watering, healthy vegan dishes that even omnivores will love. Located next to the Draft Room, grab food to go and enjoy with a beer next door.
- Napa Kitchen + Bar – For a more upscale option, Napa serves a Mediterranean-inspired menu of small plates and entrees to pair with a selection of wines from around the world.
For the dads who love art of any kind:
- Otterbein Summer Theatre: Baby - Three couples on a university campus deal with the painful, rewarding and agonizingly funny consequences of the universal experience of pregnancy and upcoming parenthood. Take dad on Father’s Day at 2 p.m.
- Sounds of Summer Concert Series – Head to the Alum Creek Park Amphitheatre to enjoy fresh air and a free concert featuring Turn to Stone (ELO Tribute) on Father’s Day at 6:30 p.m.
- Art instruction at David Myers Art Gallery – Each of us is unique and has something to say. Local artist and owner of the gallery, David Myers will guide, coach and mentor you to create, express and find your voice. Schedule a session for dad online or purchase a gift card for future use.
- Create and Sip at Uptown Art & Clay – Take dad to an art class to create your own garden gnome, perfect for gardens, yards, or even inside. All supplies are included. Stop by Fattey Beer Co. or Meza Wine to grab a drink to bring with you to create and sip! There is a class available Saturday, June 17 6-9:30 p.m. or sign-up for a later date with dad.
- Pick up a DIY sushi rolling kit - Roll sushi at home with dad and make your own maki rolls. The kit includes white rice, seaweed wraps, two proteins of choice, carrots, cucumber, avocado, an extra produce item, sauce of choice, crunch, sesame seeds, wasabi, ginger, bamboo rolling mat, plus a recipe card with a link to an instructional video.
Don’t forget gifts for dad. Westerville offers a wide variety of boutique shops and unique stores to get dad the perfect gift this Father’s Day. A Gal Named Cinda Lou is a retro ‘60’s, ‘70’s, ‘80’s shop featuring an incredible record collection or shop for music and records at Now Spinning Records. Find any flavor of oil and vinegar you could imagine at A Twist on Olives and grab a bottle of wine to go along with it at Meza Wine Shop. Have a coin collector on your list this year? Allen’s Coin is a coin collectors Mecca! Other great gift options include a gift card to Hammer and Nails, Westerville’s luxury grooming lounge for men or a stop at the Saturday Farmer’s Market for a unique, local gift.
Post by Michelle Downar